Sunday 20 October 2013

DIY

Im sure Im not the only person who pins large amounts of DIY projects on Pinterest with no intentions of ever trying them, mainly because Im by no means crafty although I would consider myself creative!
Ant always needs something to do, so after coming across the blog ohdeardrea (shown to me by a friend) I suggested we make one for Max. This was a great idea and full of all the good intentions; Ant has something to occupy his mind with, I am actually attempting one of my pins and have something to blog about and Max scores a pretty cool tent to play in.


It started with a family trip to Masters
We got to Masters (Max was sleeping) and headed to wood aisle. This is pretty much where we went from a joint on the same page project to having two different ideas.
In my head I had a picture of the sweet bright little flowery tent all neat in the corner just like the blog. Ant being a male and knowing everything had an idea of a sturdy structure that wouldn't break.
After some heated discussion on timber size Ant gave in and said fine do it your way.

So we paid for our supplies and left the store, me slightly happy that I had won in the end (so I thought). We got home and Ant immediately went to the shed to get started. First hole he drilled the timber split, straight down the middle just like he said it would.

Feeling a bit silly, we got in the car an headed to Porters Hardware to get the bigger sized timber just like anthony suggested (not before I got the 'I told you so and you never listen you always have to be right' lecture).



From then on it was fairly simple to construct. Ant cut the pieces to length, holes were drilled and dowels were inserted into the holes.
                                                               

We brought the frame inside and added a cross beam to keep the shape. Max had to be caged (put in the portacot to prevent him from helping/destroying)

After that was the almost impossible task of picking fabric. I left Ant in the car with Max who was asleep again and went into Spotlight on my own. I must have been in there too long because Ant had his chair reclined and was sleeping when I got back, and after all that time I had buyers remorse and was unhappy with my choice. It was too late to change my mind so I came home to finish the project. 


Even though Im still not entirely happy with the fabric choice I did feel a sense of accomplishment. I have no sewing experience and managed to sew the cover (not before snapping the machines needle) and Ant did a good job of putting together the frame. It was a joint effort with a little help from Max!
Max thought it was great and went straight to work trying to destroy it....Such a boy :
Quick family snap before heading off the get more wood! Max was not happy about the drill noise.

No comments:

Post a Comment

 
SITE DESIGN BY DESIGNER BLOGS